The majority of work carried out by the firm has traditionally taken place in South Africa and Namibia where we currently have offices, but CMB has undertaken projects over many years in countries such as Botswana, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Mauritius and further afield in Brazil, India and China. We see ourselves as a global player and we are actively marketing and expanding our services to other parts of the world.
CMB is proud of every one of the projects we have worked on, but there are a few particularly prestigious landmark projects which have contributed significantly to the development of the firm over the years. These are:
- The development of the original Dulux Paint Factory (now AECI Paints) in the 1960’s in Port Elizabeth where CMB acted as principal agents and consulting mechanical and electrical engineers. This project established the firm’s reputation and expertise in industrial work.
- Based on our considerable experience with hospitals in the Cape Province, in 1964 the firm was appointed for the mechanical and electrical consulting services for the state hospital complex in Namibia (then South West Africa). This appointment led directly to the establishment of the Windhoek office, and ensured the firm’s continued strong development as a specialist in hospitals and healthcare. It also culminated in the award of the prestigious South African Association of Consulting Engineers Design Award for excellent work for our part in the Frozen Food Kitchen at the Windhoek Hospital Complex.
- The firm was appointed as Consulting Electrical Engineers to several Municipalities in the Southern Cape in the early 1960’s. These marked the development of CMB’s now extensive experience in all aspects of municipal electrical services and electrical reticulation in residential and industrial townships.
- A relatively small, but unique project was the underwater marine electrical cable crossing of the Knysna Lagoon. This was CMB’s first appointment as electrical consulting engineers on numerous marina and coastal resort developments in South Africa, and confirmed our ability to undertake unusual and challenging projects.
- The firm’s appointment as part of a consortium of mechanical and electrical consulting engineers for the development of the world renowned new Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town confirmed CMB’s position as specialist consulting engineers in hospitals and healthcare.
- CMB acted as sub-consultants to civil engineering firm Ninham Shand for the mechanical and electrical services on the construction of the Mpofu Dam (previously the Elandsjacht Dam) in the Eastern Cape and one of the main sources of water supply to Port Elizabeth and the Nelson Mandela Metropole. The experience gained with this project further contributed to our already extensive experience in the field of civil engineering projects.
While the above projects are seen to have laid the foundations on which the firm’s experience and expertise in certain fields was built, numerous other equally important appointments also contributed to the firm’s development in various aspects of engineering, including Industrial, Electrical Reticulation, Tourism and Leisure, Retail and Commercial, Hospitals and Healthcare, Education and miscellaneous categories such as Civil Engineering related projects, Institutional, Street and Area Lighting, as well as International Projects.
With a large data base of work, of some 5000 separate projects, it is impractical to provide a fully representative list here. The project referrals provided comprise a selected short list of some of the projects recently completed by the firm and is intended to illustrate the range and diversity of work undertaken by Clinkscales Maughan-Brown. More detailed information will gladly be provided on request.